On Wednesday, March 27, 2019. The Government of Canada's commitment to seniors was addressed by The Honourable Carla Qualtrough.
Ms. Qualtrough is the Minister of Public Service and Procurement and Accessibility, and Member of Parliament for Delta. She was joined by Mr. Stephen Fuhr, Member of Parliament for Kelowna-Lake Country. Together they spoke into the proposed 2019 Federal budget, as well as a National Dementia Strategy for Seniors.
Vi Sorenson, Executive Director of Seniors Outreach and Resource Centre hosted this event at The Society of Hope's Apple Valley Location, in the Ziglar Recreation Centre for Seniors.
For further information regarding this commitment and investment into Seniors, go to https://www.budget.gc.ca/2019/docs/themes/seniors-aines-en.html
Some factors addressed in this article, that may be of interest to our seniors, are:
- Raising CPP (Canada Pension Plan) benefits
- OAS (Old Age Security)
- GIS (Guaranteed Income Supplement) and the GIS Earnings Exemption
- Allowances and Survival Allowances
- Seniors having a Secure and Dignified Retirement
- Seniors receiving the benefits they are entitled to
- Economic security for low income seniors
- Isolation, Community participation and Quality of life
- Having a Minister of Seniors
- The 10 year National Housing Strategy
- Home and Palliative care
- Enabling Accessibility Fund – making community spaces accessible
- EI Caregiving benefits
- Protecting workplace pensions.
Bottom Line: Let's make retirement easier for seniors!