Seniors Housing
Frequently Asked Questions

If your housing related question is not answered below, feel free to contact us.

How can I rent an affordable housing unit with the Society of Hope?

Those who wish to rent a unit with the Society must first complete a Society of Hope housing application. Once the application is fully completed and either mailed to or dropped of at the Society's office, applicants are placed on the Society's applicant database.  When a current tenant gives notice and a unit becomes available, applicants are placed from this applicant database.  Application forms are available at the Society's office or may be downloaded from this website.

Please note: The Society of Hope maintains a separate application and applicant database from BC Housing and all other non-profit housing providers in the Central Okanagan. If you have not filled out a Society of Hope housing application, you are not on the Society's applicant database.

Who is Seniors Housing for?
Independent living for seniors 55 yrs and older. Rent is related to income.
This is an emergency, I need a place to live by the end of the month - can you help me?

Unfortunately, the Society of Hope does not provide emergency housing.  Please contact the Kelowna Women’s Resource Centre at 250-762-2355 or Kelowna Community Resources at 250-763-8008 for current listings of emergency housing.

Where am I on the waiting list?

The Society is not able to provide this information.  Regrettably, a new placement can only be made when one of our existing tenants gives notice to move.  The Society is unable to predict when tenants will give this notice, so the Society is unable to provide information on how long it may take to get housed. The Society only reviews applications when a unit becomes available. Placements are made based on a number of different variables such as income, age, family configuration, and need.  It is not a linear, first come, first served process, therefore the priority of placement is constantly changing due to new applications being received.  

How many Seniors units does the Society manage?

The Society rents 432 units on 10 sites in the Central Okanagan.

  • Apple Valley 1 – Near Orchard Park
  • Apple Valley 2 – Near Orchard Park
  • Apple Valley 3 – Near Orchard Park
  • Birch Manor   – Rutland
  • Cedar Manor  – Rutland
  • Cedar Court   – District of Lake Country
  • Pinewood Villas – District of Lake Country
  • Woodsdale Place – District of Lake Country
  • Providence Ridge – Glenmore
  • Pleasantvale – North end Kelowna 
How much is rent?

The Society operates under a number of Housing programs but basically provides two types of rentals, Subsidized Rentals and Affordable Rentals.  Subsidized Rental Units are approximately 30% of the applicant's gross monthly income, and Affordable Rental Units are set at a flat rental rate, typically 10% - 15% below market rental rates.  For some of these Affordable Rental Units, Seniors aged 60 years or older, and working families may qualify for S.A.F.E.R. or R.A.P. subsidies directly through BC Housing.  Please see for more information.

How much income do I need?

The Society has rentals for a very wide income range.  There are no minimum income requirements for Subsidized Rental Units, but there are maximum income caps.  Household incomes for Subsidized Rental Units must remain below  "Housing Income Limits" set by BC Housing.  The Society's Affordable Rental Units do have minimum income requirements which vary greatly as they are dependent on the flat rental rate on the specific unit. Household incomes for Affordable Rental Units must remain below "Low and Moderate Income Limits" set by BC Housing.


The Society checks references that have been supplied by the applicant. Having good rental references is very helpful to an applicant. 

I’ll take anything and move later.
The Society of Hope places people in appropriately sized units for their household based upon CMHC guidelines.
Are these no smoking buildings?

The Society is transitioning all housing projects toward non-smoking buildings. Smoking and/or Vaping tobacco and/or cannabis is not permitted in common areas of the building, in units, or on balconies.

Are there unit lay-out plans to look at?
Visit the Society of Hope web site for images of buildings. There are so many different unit floor plans that it is not possible to post all our floor plans.
Is Parking included in rent?

Sorry, No.   Parking is charged above rent. Parking rates vary and are site specific. The Site Manager will provide details when a unit becomes available. As a guideline, covered parking is $35.00 per month – open air parking is $10.00 per month.

What appliances are included in the rent?
All Seniors units come equipped with a fridge, stove, and air conditioner.
What methods can I use to pay rent?

All tenants must agree to be on Pre-authorized Debit (PAD).

Are there any meals provided?

Sorry, No.  All rentals are 100% independent living - each unit is self-contained and has its own kitchen. There are common “Community rooms” for Tenants that desire to put on a coordinated event.

Is there a Tenant Organization for social events?

The Society encourages Tenants to set up Tenant Organizations to conduct social events. Some sites have active groups, but others do not.

Is electricity included in the rent?

Sorry, No.   Each Tenant must make arrangements with Fortis BC or BC Hydro for their own electricity.  

Are there laundry facilities in the building?

This varies from site to site. Many units are plumbed for a washer and dryer. Common laundry rooms are provided on properties without in-suite laundry hook-ups.  These may be coin operated or have a laundry fee within the unit rent.

Can I have a BBQ on my deck?

Sorry, No - due to fire risk.

What about Pets?

The Society has a pet policy. A tenant may keep the following animals as a pet:

  1. a bird;
  2. a fish;
  3. a rodent;

Both Cedar Court and Pinewood Villas, in Lake Country,  permit one dog or one cat provided the Tenant enters into a “Pet Agreement.”

Do I need personal belongings insurance?

No, but Tenants are strongly encouraged to carry adequate insurance coverage for fire, smoke, water damage and theft, on their own possessions. Tenants may be held liable for accidental injury, damage or breakage arising from the Tenant's willful or negligent act or that of their guests.  Some residents are eligible to enroll in an affordable group tenants insurance program offered through BC Housing.

Community Gardens – Is there a place I can garden?
Yes.  Most sites provide community gardens. These are designated on a first-come first served basis.


It is essential that we have a  current phone number  so we can reach you when a unit becomes available. 
We encourage you to keep your contact information up to date.

Tenant Service Request

Admin Hours

Monday to Friday 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Rent Day 9:00 am - 4:00 pm

Contact Info

Tel: (778) 478-7977
#101 – 2055 Benvoulin Court,
Kelowna, British Columbia
V1W 2C7

The Society of Hope | Copyright 2019