Family Housing FAQs

1.  How can I rent an affordable housing unit with the Society of Hope?
Those who wish to rent a unit with the Society must first complete a Society of Hope housing application. Applicants are put onto a waiting list.  When a unit becomes available, an applicant is chosen from the waiting list.  Application forms are available at our office or may be downloaded from the website: Application Forms

2. Who is Family housing for?

Singles or couples with a minimum of one dependent child. Rent is related to income. Most family sites have 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom and a limited number of 4 bedroom townhome units.

3. Waiting Lists: The Society of Hope maintains a separate application and waiting list from BC Housing and all other non-profit housing providers in the Central Okanagan. If you have not filled out a Society of Hope housing application, you are not on its list.

4.  Where am I on the waiting list?
The Society only reviews the priority of the waiting list when a unit becomes available. New applications are taken every week and the priority of placement is constantly changing. Things such as family configuration, income, and need affect placement. As a result the Society is not able to provide where an applicant is on our list.

5. How many family units does the Society manage?

The Society rents 240 units on 7 sites in the Central Okanagan.

  • Providence Court       – Glenmore
  • Providence Landing   – Glenmore
  • Providence Ridge       – Glenmore
  • Providence Meadows – District of Lake Country
  • Providence Pines       – Peachland
  • Providence Vista        – District of West Kelowna
  • Pleasantvale              – North end Kelowna 

6. How much is rent? The Society operates under a variety of Housing programs. Many units rent for 30% of the applicant's income, but for other units, rent is set at the low-end-of-market rents. This is typically 10% below market rental rates.

7. How much income do I need?

Some housing units rent at 30% of a person’s income. These units do have a minimum rent however. Some units rent at 10% below market rates. For these units a person’s income must be approximately $1,900.00 to $2,900.00 per month.  

8. References:

The Society checks references that have been supplied by the applicant. Having good rental references is very helpful to an applicant.

9. I’ll take anything and move later:

The Society of Hope places people in appropriate units for their household based upon CMHC guidelines. The Society will not make temporary, inappropriate housing placements.  

10. Are these no smoking townhomes?

The Society is transitioning all housing projects toward non-smoking buildings. (Smoking policy varies from building to building)  

11. Are there unit lay-out plans to look at?

Visit the Society of Hope web site for images of buildings. There are so many different unit floor plans that it is not possible to post floor plans.

12. Is Parking included in rent?

Yes. Each town home has one designated parking stall.

13. What appliances are included in the rent?

All family units come equipped with a fridge and stove. Units do not come with air conditioners.

14. What method can I pay rent?

All tenants are encouraged to pay rent by Pre-authorized Debit (PAD). There are some provisions to pay rent with cash, debit or cheque at the Society office.

15. Are there any meals provided?

No, The Society of Hope operates independent living housing – Each townhome unit is self-contained and has its own kitchen. There are common “Community rooms” for Tenants that desire to put on a coordinated event.

16. Is there a Tenant’s organization for social events?

The Society encourages tenants to set up a Tenant’s Organization to conduct social events. Some sites have active groups, but others do not.

17. Is electricity included in the rent?

No – Each Tenant must make arrangements with Fortis BC or BC Hydro for their own electricity.                    

18. Are there laundry facilities in the building?

This varies from site to site. Each townhome is plumbed for a washer and dryer. Some community centres provide common coin-operated laundry rooms.

19. Can I have a BBQ on my townhouse deck?

Yes – Extreme caution must be exercised to prevent fire and damage to vinyl siding.

20. What about Pets?

The Society has a pet policy. A tenant may keep the following animals as a pet:

  1. a bird;
  2. a fish;
  3. a rodent;

The Society does not permit cats, dogs or rabbits.  

22. Community Gardens – Is there a place I can garden?

Not on site.  However, many townhome sites are located near public Community Gardens. (Glenmore and Lake Country)

It is essential that we have a   current phone number   so we can reach you when a unit becomes available.  We encourage you to keep your contact information up to date.

Admin Hours

Monday to Friday
9:00 am - 1:00 pm

Contact Info

#101 – 2055 Benvoulin Court,
Kelowna, British Columbia
V1W 2C7

Tel: (778) 478-7977

Click here for a MAP